5 Common Poisonous Plants to Dogs

aloe vera plantThere’s nothing like a vibrant potted plant or a dazzling bouquet to brighten up your home. However, if you own a pet, you have to be doubly sure that the plant is safe. Many common houseplants that dogs tend to snack on could actually be poisonous to them. Let’s take a look at some of the most common poisonous plants to dogs:

Aloe Vera

You’d think that this ubiquitous houseplant, with its miraculous medicinal properties, could do no harm. Its gel is used for a variety of conditions, after all. Aloe Vera does everything from soothing irritated skin to disinfecting wounds – but it’s toxic to dogs if ingested.

When dogs chew on a leaf and ingest the gel, it could lead to tremors and vomiting. The saponins present in the plant can cause red blood cells to break down and the latex, the inner skin of the leaves, can cause diarrhea and subsequent dehydration.


Commonly known as the Swiss Cheese Plant, Philodendron is popular because it requires almost no maintenance. This plant contains oxalic acid, which causes oral and gastrointestinal tract irritation when dogs chew on the leaves.

Sometimes they even burn a dog’s mouth and throat, and causes esophagus swelling. If the swelling blocks their airway, then it could cause difficulty in breathing and ultimately even lead to death.

Hedera Helix

Hedera Helix, or English Ivy, is a highly decorative plant that contains a naturally occurring steroid called sapogenin as well as polyacetylene compounds. All parts of the ivy are toxic, but the leaves pose the greatest danger.

When dogs chew these leaves, they may suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. Sometimes the chemical compounds present in the leaves bring on a rash and excessive salivation in dogs.

Sago Palm

This is an exotic plant to have around the home, and is very often used in landscaping. Although all parts of the plant are poisonous to pets, the seeds are especially fatal. They contain cyasin, which can cause liver failure, diarrhea, vomiting, and even bruising.


Caladium is a household favorite because of its brilliantly colorful leaves. Curious pets suffer from vomiting and drooling when they nibble at these. It can also cause swelling and burning of the tongue and the mouth.

If you suspect that your pet has chewed on or ingested a toxic plant, don’t hesitate to take him to the vet or to the poison control center. Remember, before bringing home potted plants, check to see if they are hazardous to your dog.