Maltese Puppies for Sale in PA
Owning A Maltese Puppy
The Maltese is a popular toy dog breed with ancient origins. Dating back over 2 millennia to Greece, it is by far the oldest toy dog breed in existence. The original breed was almost lost between the 17th and 18th centuries when attempts were made to make the breed to small. A lack of advanced veterinary care and no knowledge of how to care for a “tea-cup” size breed lead to the Maltese breed almost disappearing completely. Luckily the breed was saved and the Maltese as we know it today is thought to be the result of British Dog breeders, but it is also known that the Maltese is a direct descendant of other tot breeds like the Bichon Frise and Havanese. The first Maltese is thought to have arrived in the United States in the latter half of the 19th century, and first appeared in Westminster Kennel Club shows in the 1870’s. To learn more about the Maltese breed, read on below.
Country of Origin: The Central Mediterranean Isle of Malta
Temperament: The Maltese is a friendly and loving breed. They are extremely affectionate with their family, and make new friends easily. Although they may be a bit reserved around strangers at first, they warm up quickly and will love to be a part of the group. Generally kid friendly, they will be a good playmate for your little ones, as long as they are loving and gentle with him/her as well. The Maltese is by far the most affectionate and cuddly toy breed there is.
Adaptability: The Maltese has a sensitive side. Loud noises, thunderstorms, and loud voices may make this breed a bit uneasy. They have a long flowing coat, making them somewhat sensitive to heat, but they also do not care for the cold. They are perfect for apartment living, but prefer not to be left alone for long periods of time, as they are known to long for human companionship and contact.
Owner Experience: The Maltese will work fine for novice owners, but obedience training is recommended. Be aware that training this breed will require patience and soft discipline because of their sensitive nature.
Health: The health of the Maltese is generally good. The most common concerns are Reverse Sneezing and although it may sound concerning while it is happening, is not harmful to the dog.
Grooming: The Maltese is generally considered a “non-shedding” breed. Of course one must properly maintain his/her coat to assure the truth of that title. They are also known to be “hypo-allergenic” for people who otherwise suffer from pet allergies, but the only way to assure you will not have a reaction is to meet one.
Activity Level: The activity levels of this breed is moderate, but beware of overexertion as they are very petite and can easily overdo it. They should enjoy a nice walk with their family, or unwind by being their generally playful selves.
Size: The Maltese should weigh between 3 to 8 lbs. and stand between 7 and 10 inches tall.
Coat and Colors: The Maltese coat is a long, silky and straight and is white in color.
Life Span: 12-15 years
When purchasing a Maltese puppy it is essential to be aware of all characteristics of this Toy Dog breed. Looking for a puppy to bring into your family is an exciting process, but having the knowledge of what to expect with any dog is the key to successful integration into your family. A puppy is a huge commitment, so being knowledgeable about how to train and care for your Maltese puppy is particularly valuable. For information on these subjects check our blog or a good book related to this specific dog breed.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about the Maltese. You can take a look at our page below to view all of our Maltese Puppies for Sale!
- Turbo $800.00 New Holland, PA
- Cameron $725.00 Lebanon, PA
- Elliot $750.00 Bird in Hand, PA
- Tobias $875.00 Manheim, PA
- Chase $725.00 Lebanon, PA
- Lucas $725.00 Lebanon, PA
- Champ $650.00 East Earl, Pa
- Tyron $1100.00 East Earl, Pa
- Allie $900.00 New Enterprise, PA
- Duncan $800.00 Bird in Hand, PA
- Dylan $800.00 Bird in Hand, PA
- Tiona $1150.00 East Earl, Pa
- Nosy Nell $895.00 New Holland, PA
- Eddie $750.00 Bird in Hand, PA
- Monroe $975.00 Elizabethville, PA
- Landon $725.00 Lebanon, PA
- Albie $850.00 New Enterprise, PA
- Mariah $1100.00 New Holland, PA
- Mason $1100.00 New Holland, PA
- Mindy $1100.00 New Holland, PA
- Molly $1100.00 New Holland, PA
- Tina $1100.00 New Holland, PA
- Kimba $1050.00 East Earl, PA
- Tasha $1050.00 Rising Sun, Md
- Tilly $1050.00 Rising Sun, Md
- Sporty $1050.00 New Holland, PA
- Marcus $1050.00 New Holland, PA
- Blazer $1050.00 New Holland, PA
- Clark $1025.00 Lebanon, PA
- Teddy $1000.00 New Holland, PA